Tuesday, December 20, 2005

“One felicity leads to another. Good places tend to be all of a piece – and the reason can almost always be traced to a human being.” - William H. Whyte

Agora.
What is agora?
The word agora refers to the public open spaces which were formed in Greek cities. Today they are referred to as parks, market places, courtyards and plazas.

My original idea for my thesis project was to design a student union building for SCAD however under the guidance of my thesis advisors it morphed into a grand scheme founded on the idea of public spaces. I used much of William H. Whytes' and The Project for Public Spaces (see http://www.pps.org) research and theories as the foundation for designing the “center”.

I’m still very much interested in the idea of the public space and the response of people at the pedestrian level to “our” architectural built forms, and though I have very few opportunities to express these ideas in my small design efforts in the real world, I wish to continue examining these places and hopefully share some of my thoughts on these with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home