Monday, January 02, 2006


"Public markets are an essential building block of great cities--in the same way as parks, streets, and buildings." - pps.org

While I was home for the holidays, between the “pigging” out and gaining of the 5 pounds, I got into a conversation with the older family members on what life was like when they were “our age”. We ended up talking about what the Coronation Market area, downtown, Kingston Jamaica and market day was like years ago. This reminded me of something I had read on the Project for Public Spaces web site.

The PPS group believes that even a small part of city, like the market place is essential in identifying a cities culture and plays a role in its development. So my question is this. Why is it that market place seems to be disappearing from our cities? I've lived in North Carolina for the past year and I'm yet to find a true market any where. Sure you can find a farmers market every now and then but it isn't the same. The hustle and bustle, the interaction between people. It's all missing. What effect will this have on our communities?

The picture above is from a market place at La Boqueria in Barcelona. (found on pps.org)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home